Tuesday, June 22, 2021

GWATFL Tribute to Barbara Bennett

We, at GWATFL, commemorate the life of Barbara Bennett, our former President and beloved Board Member for more than 30 years. Barbara was the epitome of service as a friend, as a colleague, and as a leader. She served at GWATFL with dedication, strength, and vision. She was a kind and wonderful person and we will miss her dearly.


In her honor, GWATFL is establishing an annual award/scholarship to be presented at our future conferences. GWATFL will always remember Barbara and we will celebrate her life, legacy, and contributions.





For many years Barbara attended our monthly meetings and yearly conferences. I always felt impressed by her extraordinary professionalism during those events. She was constantly present when and where needed, always caring about the people around her. But above all, I would like to highlight her wonderful, gracious personality; A pleasantly sweet smile accompanied every idea and contribution she made. When I remember her, I will think of all her extraordinary contributions to our profession, her kind smile, and how fortunate I was to see how she touched the lives of so many.

Victor Vincent (GWATFL Board)


Barbara was a devoted and cherished Board member for GWATFL. She dearly loved our organization and mission and much of what we are today and where we are trying to become is a tribute to the work she did with our board over the past 30 years. We will miss her sweet smile and friendly personality. I have nice memories of when I first came to the board and she often came with her husband who was supportive of GWATFL. Barbara is one of the reasons I connected with GWATFL. She inspired me.
Karen Adamson (GWATFL Board)


Barbara made an imprint on me since the moment I saw her at one of the first GWATFL Board meetings that I attended back in 2017.
Barbara's smile immediately struck me as genuinely welcoming and although she did not speak much, when she did so, her words were inclusive and kind, and at the same time spoken with knowledge and candor. Barbara was a true leader.
Vicky Masson (GWATFL Board)


Barbara and I met at GWATFL in 2016. She welcomed me with open arms and a warm smile that immediately made me feel a part of the GWATFL family. I will remember her for the caring way she listened to others, making sure everyone’s voice was heard. Her eagerness to lend a helping hand was admirable. She devoted herself wholeheartedly by attending each monthly board meeting, pre-conference preparations, and conference. Although she might leave us, her love and memory will stay in our hearts forever.
Yi-Na Chung (GWATFL Board)


When I think about Barbara, her big and beautiful smile always comes to my mind. She was a sweet and kind woman and she always made people around her feel welcome. Barbara was an institution at GWATFL. She has been a member of our association since before any of us can remember. Barbara was always present in every meeting and she had a huge presence. I will always remember her taking precise and accurate notes of all of our meetings. Barbara was a beautiful human being and we will deeply miss her.
Mar Ramirez (GWATFL Board)


Barbara’s dedication to the language teaching profession and to GWATFL has been an inspiration. I first saw Barbara on an online video workshop for K-12 language teachers titled “Valuing Diversity in Learners”, Produced in association with ACTFL, years before I met her at GWATFL. Her pioneering insights on learning from students inform your curriculum and connect with your students. Barbara devoted a huge part of her life as an active and devoted GWATFL board member. I will always remember her friendliness, her warm personality, and her generosity.
Luis Deocares(GWATFL President)


Some people are born to be educators and Barbara was one of them.  She had a big heart, a soft voice, and a strong presence.  She was patient, always willing to listen and lend a hand, and offered the best advice.  Her contributions to World Languages education in Washington, DC, across the DMV, and across the nation are too immense to count.  Our profession will continue to be impacted by Barbara's talent for many years to come.  She loved and was so proud of her family.  I treasure the moments Barbara and I shared in between GWATFL Meetings and Conferences where we discussed life, love, family, and teaching.   I will miss her big heart and professional wisdom that she shared with the GWATFL Board, our members, and the many students and teachers that had the opportunity to cross her path over the years.  
Jane Tarwacki (GWATFL Past President)





No comments:

Post a Comment